You are here: Home > Articles > Panagia tou Sinti (Pentalia)

Panagia tou Sinti (Pentalia)

In Pentalia there is a remarkable cultural monument, the monastery of Sinti, on the  west bank of Xeros river. It is not well known when the monument was built, though its church belongs to the first half of the 16th century. In recent years it was an annex of Kykko monastery. In 1735 the monastery was visited by Barsky, the well-known Russian monk, who described the monastery in great detail. He notes that the monastery depends on Kykko, from where monks and stewards were sent. The monastery has two mills and a few deciduous trees. He
describes the monastery as very old, square- shaped, with a big courtyard and a well in the middle. He praises the church with its dome and observes that it was built with great dexterity. Today the monastery is in ruins.
 
However, the well in the middle of the courtyard, and the church with cracks on its walls, are still in existence. The east wing of the monastery, and the north wing, look as if they are two-storeyed buildings in comparison with the west wing which consists of ground floor rooms which were used as stables and barns. 

The single-aisled church with its eight-sided dome possibly belongs to the 16th century. It is worth mentioning, as Loizos Philippou refers, that not only Sinti, but Pentalia itself, were annexes of Kykko during 1774, when the Land Registry Code of The Holy Monastery of Kykko was being drafted.
 
What is remarkable is the fact that two abbots from Kykko monastery came from Pentalia, namely losif, and Neofytos. It was losif who, with the beginning of the Greek Revolution and when the island’s inhabitants were ordered to disarm themselves, ordered all valuable items of the monastery to be placed 3 Special hiding place. Nevertheless, in 1821 Kutsuk Mehmet ordered the hanging of abbot Iosif. Neofytos, a scholar, also from Pentalia, succeeded abbot Sofronios of Kykko in 1826. Neofytos was the nephew of losif, the martyr. Neofytos visited Constantinople and through the Patriarch made every attempt to secure financial support for the monastery which was in danger of collapsing.
 
Restoration works were initiated in 1994 and by 1998 the monastery with its significant historic and archaeological value was fully restored. In fact it was during the year of the successful restoration that the diploma of Europa Nostra was awarded to the monastery.